This is an appointment only clinic. The only criteria: no health insurance of any kind and no primary care provider. All calls are returned within 24 hours. The Resource Page has a list of other free clinics in the area.
- Patients must be between the ages of 19 through 64.
- Patients must provide a photo ID for age verification.
- Patients have NO insurance of any kind and no primary care provider.
- Patients are required to sign a Patient Contract as well as fill out a Health History and Information forms.
- All of the medical staff volunteering for the clinic are licensed or certified as required by the State of Michigan
- Patients are seen by a practitioner (physician, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant)
- All lab work is done at the clinic with the results available to the patients in 3-6 days
- The clinic dispenses generic medications. We assist patients with Prescription Assist Program for medications we do not carry and also survey local pharmacies for prescription costs.
- A social worker and nutritionist are all available
- We offer a twelve session in-depth counseling program to our patients
- We assist and enroll residents as well as patients in the Affordable Care Act Insurance Exchange and Healthy Michigan
Services NOT Offered:
- Sexually transmitted diseases and infections obstetric or gynecological services
- Emergency care. We refer callers and patients to a clinic/hospital with that capability.
- Mental health care that is beyond the scope of a primary care provider. We do not do any counseling that requires a psychiatrist or psychiatric supervision.
- Imaging of any kind,i.e. x-ray, ultra sound, MRI, etc. These are referred out per Clinic Manager approval.
- Dental care.
- We do not provide any care requiring a specialty (podiatry, neurology, etc.). These are referred out to specialists who have a specific agreement with FernCare regarding treatment of FernCare patients.
- Opiate or any controlled substance prescriptions of any kind.
- Surgery, including incisions and drainage
- Transgender transition medications. We will work with people in transition around primary care issues including making sure that transition medications and medications for any other reason interact positively.
2016/2017 Clinic Schedule and Hours
We are open the first and third Saturdays, 9am to noon, and the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm for medical clinic AND the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, 5:30 – 8:30 pm for counseling. Exceptions are when the clinic date falls on a major holiday or during community events that restrict access to the clinic’s parking lot. Please note that clinic hours are subject to change, and they will be posted on this website as quickly as possible.
The medical clinic dates are arranged as first Saturday, second Thursday, third Saturday and fourth Thursday.
2017 medical clinic dates
January 7, 12, 21, 26
February 4, 9, 18, 23
March 4, 9, 18, 23
April 1, 13, 22, 27 NOTE the 2nd to 3rd Sat change
May 6, 11, 20, 25
June 3, 8, 17, 22 NOTE change this month due to July 4 week-end
July 6, 15, 20, 29
August 3, 12, 17, 31 NOTE date changes because of DreamCruise week-end
September 7, 16, 21, 30
October 5, 14, 19, 28 NOTE date changes
November 2, 11, 16, 30 NOTE date changes (Thanksgiving)
December 7, 16, 21 NOTE only 3 medical clinics (Christmas holiday)
To volunteer, visit our Volunteer Page for more information.