The clinic treats persons from 19 through 64 years of age with no medical insurance and no primary care provider. We provide primarily non-emergency maintenance care of chronic illness, do checkups, dispense generic medications, provide lab testing, provide benefits counseling, enroll patients in the Prescription Assistance Program if needed, assist enrollment in the Affordable Care Act Insurance Exchange and Healthy Michigan and make specialist referrals for obstetric, dental care and sexually transmitted disease treatment and other care beyond our scope of service during medical clinic sessions. In addition, we also offer in-depth counseling (6 – 12 sessions) for our patients and on-going diabetic support workshops outside of the clinic sessions.
The pharmacy does not stock any controlled substance drugs, narcotics or any highly addictive drug of any sort.
We are open the 1st and 3rd Saturday (9 to noon) and the 2nd and 4th Thursday (6 – 8 pm) of every month for medical clinic with only a few date changes due to holidays or Ferndale city-wide events. We are open the 2nd and 4th Wednesday evening for in-depth counseling. The diabetic support workshops are held the 1st Saturday of each month, noon to 1 pm. See the 2016 clinic schedule on the Clinic page.
Appointments and Information at 248-677-2273. All calls are returned within 24 hours.
The clinic is volunteer driven and staffed. If you are interested in volunteering, go to the Volunteer page.
The mission of FernCare is to provide no-cost medical care to the medically uninsured and under-insured residents of Ferndale and surrounding communities. Just a note: we are not seeing under-insured patients because we are so very busy with patients who have no insurance. When we are able to see the under-insured, it will be noted on the website Home page.
The purpose is limited to those activities that are permissible for a 501 (c) (3) tax exempt organization as specified by the Internal Revenue Code.
A Brief History
We held our first Board Meeting in April, 2008. We opened our first clinic in August, 2010 as a set up/tear down clinic at the Kulick Community Center in Ferndale. We renovated and moved into 459 E. Nine Mile, Ferndale in September, 2011. The move and renovations were made possible through Congressional Representative Sander Levin in the form of a Federal government Health and Human Services grant. We completed a build out of the Pharmacy in 2014 with a generous grant from Judy Jones. We installed a Little Free Library in front of the clinic in August, 2015. We moved to 751 Suite 2 E. Nine Mile Road in Ferndale on December 1, 2016.
We are self funded, meaning we raise the money to operate the clinic through individual donations, corporate and foundation grants and fund-raisers.
We have seen over 1000 patients since that Saturday, August 7, 2010. Given that we started with only two medical clinic sessions a month slowing moving to three and then four sessions in 2014, it is amazing.
Recognition and Awards
GuideStar (GuideStar.com) gathers and disseminates information about every single IRS-registered nonprofit organization. They provide as much information as they can about each nonprofit’s mission, legitimacy, impact, reputation, finances, programs, transparency, governance, and so much more. They do this so people can review the information and make more informed decisions when considering working with or donating to an IRS registered nonprofit organization. We have received the Platinum Level meaning that we meet their definitions of transparency. 2016
- Bernstein Community clinic named Kate Baker, Board member and one our founding Board members as one of the 14 Esteemed Women of Michigan for 2016.
- Pam Bellaver, Board member and one of the Counseling team was named the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Volunteer of the Year, 2016.
- Bernstein Community Clinic named Ann Heler as one of the 15 Esteemed Women of Michigan for 2015.
- Women Officials Network, WON Foundation, named Ann Heler as one of the five recipients of the WONder Woman Awards for 2015.
- Citizens for a Fair Ferndale, Community Partner Award – FernCare Clinic Volunteers, 2013.
- Ferndale Downtown Development Authority’s Best New Independent Service Business 2011 Award, 2012
- Heart of Detroit, Mitch Albom’s WDIV TV show chose Ann Heler as one of the Heart of Detroit Persons of Note, 2012
- MichUHCAN awarded Ann Heler, President, Board of Directors one of the four Michigan Health Care Heroes Award, 2012
- Ferndale Chamber of Commerce awarded FernCare Free Clinic, Inc. Special Service Award, 2011
- Soroptimists of Royal Oak awarded Ann Heler, President, Board of Directors the Ruby Award, 2011
- Ferndale 115 named Ann Heler, President, Board of Directors Person of the Year, 2010
Amazon Affiliate Programs Participation
FernCare is now a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Click on the Amazon.com button on the home page. Thank you!
We are also part of the AmazonSmile! program. Simply go to the AmazonSmile website and order as usual. You will be given a selection of non-profit organizations to donate a percentage of your sale…check FernCare and that is it. Thank you!