FernCare is a drop-off site for usable medical equipment and supplies, and medications. Those items that cannot be utilized by the clinic are donated to World Medical Relief for distribution locally and abroad. You may drop-off your donations at FernCare during clinic hours: the 1st and 3rd Saturday from 9am to noon, the 2nd and 4th Thursday from 6pm to 8pm or when the office is open; Monday through Friday 9 to 2 pm.
Equipment should be in usable order and the medications can be out of date. NEW June, 2107 WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING OPAQUE (NON-SEE THROUGH) MEDICATION BOTTLES OR OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICINE CONTAINERS. WORLD MEDICAL RELIEF HAS STOPPED TAKING THEM. PLEASE, WHEN FINISHED WITH THE BOTTLE, PUT IT IN A RECYCLE BIN.
We are not taking any OUT OF DATE medications from clinics, nursing homes, hospice care or physician’s offices. The medication drop off is for the convenience of families and individuals. We hope to help keep no longer needed or used medications from inappropriate use and from being disposed of in a way that is a danger to the environment.
World Medical Relief has moved to 21725 Melrose Ave., Southfield, MI 48075. It is a block north of W. Eight Mile Road and Lahser. You can drop items off to them directly. We recommend you call first 313-866-5333 to make sure they are still taking what you would like to donate.
FernCare is UNABLE to accept the following items:
- OUT OF DATE medications from ANY CLINIC, NURSING HOME, HOSPICE AGENCY OR PHYSICIANS OFFICE. We will take in-date medications from clinics and physician’s offices. NOTE: This ONLY applies to professional medical establishments. We still gladly take out of date medications from individuals and groups doing “mini” collection sites from families and individuals (churches, senior groups, etc.).
- Any narcotics or controlled substances. It is simply too dangerous. Please take controlled substances to the Royal Oak Police station at 221 E. 3rd in Royal Oak. They have a medication drop box in the lobby and free 15 minute parking across the street.
- Wooden crutches. These cannot be sterilized and they are not durable in hot, humid climates.
- Oxygen tanks of any size. Call the distributor listed on the tank and they will come and pick it up.
- Hospital beds. Please call World Medical Relief directly at 313.866.5333.
- IV supplies, IV solutions, prepared IVs and personal belongings of patients.
- Custom made orthotics: boots, back braces, etc. These are designed for a particular person and cannot be adapted for general use.
- Opened packages of medical supplies (bandages, diapers, tubing, etc.).
We are very grateful for your donations to this program. In doing so you are providing much needed equipment and medication to those who might otherwise go without. We do offer receipts for IRS tax purposes.
IF YOU NEED MEDICAL EQUIPMENT:
Contact Paralyzed Veterans of America in Novi at 248-476-9000. They loan out equipment at no cost, but do not deliver.
Or, contact World Medical Relief in Southfield at 313-866-5333. They now have a loan closet.
OLHSA (Oakland Livingston Human Services) has cargo vans and trucks if someone needs to have very heavy items delivered (hospital beds, electric wheelchairs, 3 wheel scooters, etc.). They deliver ONLY to Oakland County residents. They will not do deliveries for items that are easily carried (canes, toilet seats, etc.) unless it is in addition to the very heavy items. Call Al Patrick at OLHSA 248-209-2600 for more information.